Geek Chic: Serious Furniture for Serious Gamers (PAX East 2012)

While getting ready for PAX East this year, my very first video game trade show experience, I was preparing myself for a sensory overload of TV screens, video games, flashing lights and more colours than a pantone swatch booklet. What I wasn’t expecting was that at the end of the weekend one of my favourite booths on the show floor would be from a company that makes video game furniture. Hell, I didn’t even know there was such a thing. I mean, we’ve all seen those crazy chairs with the built in monitors, subs, racing wheels… that kind of thing, but modular furniture, specifically tables, this was a first for me.

The table that caught my eye first was the “Hoplite“, pictured below. The idea of foam inserts for your precious controllers and other accessories is a genius one. No more controllers being bashed around in drawers and sliding all over the place, finally getting the respect these expensive hand held devices deserve. Oh, did I mention that the inside of the drawers on the table are modular, meaning you can arrange them anyway you want? Yeah, they thought of that too. The next “OMG” moment came when I saw that the top of the table lifted off piece by piece to reveal a hidden area for your most epic of table top wars. Never again worry about your meticulously painted Warhammer 40K Space Marine being knocked from a game board and smashed to a million pieces on the hard floor. Once your game is done, or you need to pause that 14 hour game of Risk you’ve been playing since last night, just place the boards back on top until the itch for world domination strikes again.

Hoplite

+1 Awesome

The final pièce de résistance from the show floor was “The Locus“. Now this bad boy is a bit on the expensive side, but if you want the best of the best you’re going to have to drop some serious loot. The Locus is a multitouch enabled gaming surface using the Natural User Interface Technology (NUIT for those of you into acronyms) from the brilliant people over at Mesa Mundi. Including true multitouch with up to 32 simultaneous touch events meaning everyone can get in on the action at the same time. Check out the video below for an example of it in action.

So, in closing, if you’re reading this and throwing money at your computer screen yelling “take my money” then you are the exact customer this amazing hardware was built for. Head on over to www.geekchichq.com and take a look at everything they have to offer. While again it might be a bit on the expensive side, if you want something that’s going to last, has that “wow” factor to make your fellow geeks envious and at the same time is amazingly practical – this is it.

11 Comments

1. Matthew C says:

This stuff is just amazing….Im afraid to go and look at how much it costs!
    My brother owes me a few Xmas presents, maybe I can convince him to get me one!! :)

2. Jason Gorr says:

Thanks for the nice write up. I am doing a coffee table build and it gives me some ideas, nothing crazy like a built in screen or anything but a nice clean design with semi hidden drawers.
    The Hoplite is easily doable if you want to spend some time doing it yourself.

3. Mathew says:

Their booth was really awesome. In addition to the tables they also had wooden props like swords and huge, bastion-style hammers. The quality of the stuff was incredible as well – hidden die boxes, covers, fold down panels to hold character sheets and DM info. They are really amazing. I wish I was in the market for a huge table.

Nice write up, Andrew!

4. Michael says:

Great company. I ordered thier hotlite and am presnelty awaying thier chirs and a Alexandria Codex. Amazing furniture, great customer service and local to me. I think when I am all donw I will have all of my major furnitur from them. They are just fantastic.

5. Andrew says:

Thank you for the first hand experience Michael!

I am doing my best trying to save for the Hoplite, like I said in the article, and just hearing your feedback makes me want it even more! You’re lucky to have them local, I bet that saves a ton on shipping :)

If you get a chance, take some pictures of your furniture and send them to us and we will either add them to this post or do a separate feature if you’re up for it. Thanks for reading!

6. Joseph says:

Thanks for the great review Andrew. I have to admit that it didn’t really register that you were recording me. I wish I’d given you a better rundown of the Locus. Also, the Hoplite is my favorite piece as well. Good luck saving up!

7. Andrew says:

Not your fault at all Joseph, I was the one with the camera! I should have told you I was recording :)

If you get around to doing your own video, please let me know and I’ll be sure to post it here on the site right away. We are getting a lot of great feedback about your company and your products.

Keep up the amazing work!

8. Tobias says:

Thanks for the write up! I’m with Mesa Mundi and have to say, we could not be happier with the direction the Locus is going. Feel free to ping us at mesamundi.com if you’re curious about the tech side of things.

9. Andrew says:

Thanks for touching base Tobias! I’m on my way to your site right now to take a look around. I look forward to getting more hands on with your amazing product. I had a lot of fun experiencing the tech first hand at the PAX East show.

10. Tobias says:

Thanks for the feed back Andrew! Oh, the touch cap is actually 40 touch events, but on a 40-inch screen I don’t suggest going that high. It gets a bit crowded with that many touch events going off at once.

11. Jose says:

I also got inspired by the Geek Chic tables when I went to Pax East 2010 (I think). Got four tables over the years and love every one of them.